Friday, January 14, 2011

Fragility



An article I read this morning made me think about a trip that I took to China a couple of years ago. During the trip we visited an amazing park in Northern Sichuan Province called Jiuzhaigou. I remember standing and looking up at one of the ridges rising above us (to around 15k feet)and remarking to my colleague Greg about how life ceases to exist as we know it at a fairly low altitude. I'll never forget his response: "Yeah, we live in a very thin strip of space, don't we?" For me, it was a moment of awe and sobriety to think about how tenuous the balance of life on earth is.

So, this morning I was reading this article (Global Food Chain Stretched to the Limit) and was reminded again of the very delicate balance of life on earth. As we prepare to celebrate the legacy of Dr. King, who once said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."-it is good for me to be reminded anew of the very real and very significant challenges that humanity is facing; and in turn of the hope and promise of my faith in Christ and the new kingdom he inaugurated.....in the most fragile manner possible.

No comments: