Tuesday, January 13, 2009

this blog post chose me

you may have seen this article in the NY times over the weekend.  the catchy title caught my eye - "who would jesus smack down?"  a very interesting exploration of some of our brothers and sisters in Jesus.

for me, the best line of the article comes at the end.  it reads:

Driscoll’s New Calvinism underscores a curious fact: the doctrine of total human depravity has always had a funny way of emboldening, rather than humbling, its adherents.

whenever i read an article like this my first instinct is to chortle to myself and revel in my being right and "them" being wrong.  i am, by god's grace, practicing the use of a better but more shy reflex.  one of prayer and grace and humility.

1 comment:

Steve Hayes said...

There were two schoolkids, one Anglican and the other Presbyterian, discussing the differences between their denominations.

And the Presbyterian kid proudly said to the Anglican, "You're just miserable sinners; we're totally depraved."