Monday, January 18, 2010

Happy MLK Day!

In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, I hope that we have been able to reflect a little on his life, legacy, and how it is being continued.

I came across this interview of Dr. King by Robert Penn Warren. Here is a quote:

In regards to what might further the movement for civil rights and follow it:

I think if there is a next phase it will be an extension of the present phase. My feeling is that we will really have to grapple with ways and means to really bring about an integrated society. Nonviolent direct action, working through the courts, and working through legislative processes may be extremely helpful in bringing about a desegregated society. But when we move into the realm of actual integration which deals with mutual acceptance, a genuine intergroup, interpersonal living, then it seems to me that other methods will have to be used. And I think that the next phase will be the phase that really grapples with the--the methods that must be used to bring about a thoroughly integrated society.

No comments: