Tuesday, February 05, 2008

questioned by scripture

in the fourth chapter of corinthians, paul asks a simple but piercing question to that struggling community - "what do you have that you did not receive?"

after recently reading a book on gratitude i was particularly primed for the pointed conviction of that question.  i've found that if i don't stop and give thanks for at least three things a day (something we are now doing with isaac, our four year old) my attitude is so quickly derailed.  and even with only a month passing since reading "thanks", i've slipped back into my rut of a bad attitude with quick and easy resentment of circumstances or people, and worse, my own sense of entitlement.

so this morning this question sat on me with great weight.  at the end of my considerations i could not come with anything, not anything, that is not a gift of grace in my life.  i felt rightfully put in my place, and thankful.

(sherry)

No comments: