Thursday, October 12, 2006

Mercy and Justice

our friend (and missionary hero in India), Kate Pocklington sent us this quote.

Mercy is like the ambulance at the bottom of a cliff, ready to help those who fall.
Justice builds a fence at the top of the cliff to protect them from falling in the first place.
Mercy wipes the tears from the eyes. Justice asks, “Why are you crying?”
Mercy welcomes the hungry to gather around G_d’s banqueting table.

Justice addresses why some are under the table aching of hunger while others are sitting on top of the table aching from gluttony.
Mercy seeks and saves those lost in the darkness.

Justice asks, “Why is it dark? Who is keeping it dark? Who is benefiting from this darkness? Is it I, Lord?”
Can You Hear Me? – Brad Jersa

3 comments:

cityfrog said...

Thanks Geoffster for posting that. It sort of rounds up the dialogue between Campolo and Costello [Timmy, of course...] at the World Vision breakfast here recently. Such a helpful distinction.

billy said...

Geoff,

Great quote, kind of reminds me of a C.T. Studd quote (my paraphrase) that I learned from John Smith: "Some people want to live within the sound of church bells but I want to run a rescue station at the gates of hell"-

billy said...

the actual C.T. Studd quote:

"Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell.

If Jesus Christ is God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for Him.

When his critics told him to go home, that he had done enough, he replied, "God has called me to go, and I will go. I will blaze the trail though my grave may only become a stepping stone that younger men may follow."

C.T. Studd