Wednesday, October 10, 2007

time

A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure of joining a few members of our church in a meeting for discussion and discernment. At the middle of our table sat an antique wooden kneading bowl, crafted in 1896 by Sherry’s great-grandfather, its rich wood evident of quality and good use. As Geoff told us the story of the centerpiece, something tugged at me about the quality of things built with time and perseverance. Kind of like things built before 1950. And, how some relationships and deep communities can be.

As a child of this consumerist culture of instant gratification, quick fixes, and cheap imitations, I feel that I’ve barely had the eyes to see or appreciate this sort of thing fully. It just hasn't dominated my mental vocabulary. But, I’m beginning to suspect my vision could be adjusting.

I hear God laugh, and say, “just wait.”
This makes me a bit nervous. :)

Either way, I believe this kind of wholeness and depth formed through perseverance is something creation and it's children are desparately crying out for. So, be encouraged today.


A couple quotes that have spoken to me lately:

“If a problem can't be solved as it is, enlarge it.”
- D. Eisenhower

“You never change by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.”
- R. Buckminster Fuller

No comments: