Monday, April 28, 2008

good words

If I had no choice about the age in which I was to live, I nevertheless have a choice about the attitude I take and about the way and the extent of my participation in its living ongoing events. To choose the world is not then merely a pious admission that the world is acceptable because it comes from the hand of God. It is first of all an acceptance of a task and a vocation in the world, in history and in time. In my time, which is the present. To choose the world is to choose to do the work I am capable of doing, in collaboration with my brother and sister, to make the world better, more free, more just, more livable, more human. And it has now become transparently obvious that mere automatic "rejection of the world" and "contempt for the world" is in fact not a choice but an evasion of choice. The person, who pretends that he can turn his back on Auschwitz or Viet Nam and acts as if they were not there, is simply bluffing.

Thomas Merton. Contemplation in A World of Action (New York: Doubleday & Company, 1973: 164-165.

2 comments:

billy said...

Jodester....I think that all of us owe you at least a week at Gethsemani at some point because you definitely keep the Merton flowing around here....thanks...

geoff and sherry said...

jodean,
great quote. very timely for me and i thank you for posting it.
peace to you,
geoff